Tuesday 26 June 2012

Alwyn and Jack, opened the box ...

... to examine Schrödinger's cat only to find it wasn't alive nor dead, it had disapeared.

And is that "nationality" ?

To understand Alwyn and Jack it's necessary to read through their blogsto determine their very public statement of status relating to nationality, Alwyn here, and Jack here, but be warned those readers from beyond the shores of Britain, both Alwyn and Jack hold views that would be suppressed in many countries such as ............... , in Britain we have become somewhat tolerant, we generally accept the views of others as long as we are able to disagree without fear for our safety.
I left a comment with Alwyn who raised the question ...
Does Britain Mean the Same to You as Britain Means to Me?
... my comment reads:

Born in Wales I use "Welsh" and "British" as interchangeable labels, my English in-laws use "English" and "British" in much the same way, its a sense of equality, it means much the same ...

... except possibly during the 6 nations
(rugby championship).
So what is this nationality that might have a multitude of Schrödinger's possibilities, how is it possible to hold dual nationality, my "Welsh" and "British" .... Jack replied to me ...

John, I suggest - or hope - that for you those terms have distinct meanings. Whereas for your in-laws they are most likely synonymous.
Is Jack right, do my English in-laws use "English" and "British" as labels where the difference is only in the spelling ... should I be different and hold (a) nationality to be a distinct statement (of intent).

What is this nationality, is it a product of birth or could it be a product of adoption.  Emigrate to the USA and you will be encouraged to become a citizen, to make a public statement of allegiance, much the same if Australia is your preferred destination.

So do my in-laws make a statement of allegiance when they describe themselves as "English" and "British", possibly, but it is also a possibility that when they describe themselves in these terms that they apply a label to satisfy a need to temporarily identify with their neighbour(s), very few people in Britain (United Kingdom) carry their nationality on permanent public display, unless there is a personal or political need to do so.

Currently there are two groups that carry nationality as a permanent badge of honour, they are those who would break up the United Kingdom into its political constituent parts and those who would keep the status quo.

So where do I fit in, when I call myself Welsh I am definitely watching Wales play rugby, for the rest I prefer the family we call British, it's inclusive, its not perfect, it has infinite variety, it's welcoming whilst it can be forbidding, it has inequalities whilst at the same time it offers opportunity, in short it can mean anything to anyone, I think this is why I and the majority of people in Britain reject nationalism, whether Scots, Irish, Welsh, English or "British" ...

... sometimes we might even consider ourselves "Asda man and women" (Walmart in the USA), its just not important ...

So for the record ................. with ancestors from Cornwall, Devon, the Forest of Dean, the Vale of Glamorgan, with a preference for the BBC, fond regards of the USA, links to Australia, a love of Microsoft and McDonald's, what else could I be ...

... but human.

No comments:

Post a Comment